Webuild signs agreement to start work on Verona-Padua High-Speed Rail Line five months early20 May 2021
Webuild Group and its partner in the IRICAV DUE consortium have signed five months ahead of time an agreement with Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (Gruppo Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane) to start work on the second and final construction lot of the first functional lot of the Verona-Bivio Vicenza section of the Verona-Padua high-speed/high-capacity railway valued at €1.596 million. Webuild, which owns 83% of IRICAV DUE and Hitachi Rail the remaining 17%, also signed an agreement for the definitive design of the crossing of Vicenza, valued at approximately €720 million and belonging to the second functional lot.
Work will begin along the entire first functional lot of the railway, one of the public works being financed by the Recovery Fund. The completion date is set for December 31, 2026. The acceleration of the work was made possible by government measures related to the Fund, Webuild’s experience in reducing times for some preliminary operations, as well as the Group’s acquisition of Astaldi, which had already belonged to the consortium. New jobs are to be created as well as opportunities for the supply chain, giving an anti-cyclical economic boost in time of crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The first functional lot of the railway between Verona and Bivio di Vicenza will run for 44.2 kilometres across 13 municipalities. By quadrupling the existing railway, the project valued at a combined total of approximately €4.8 billion, represents an important link across the country’s northeast. It will promote more sustainable mobility in a key area for the transport of goods arriving from the north and east, reducing the impact on the environment and problems related to road traffic.
The second functional lot that concerns the crossing of Vicenza will be through the municipalities of Altavilla Vicentina, Creazzo, Sovizzo, Torri di Quartesolo and Vicenza. A new stop is planned at Fiera, while work will be done on the main station and the historic line. Work will also be done on the new TPL line of electric buses from east to west for 12 kilometres and on improving traffic to the station from west to east.
The project, part of the high-speed/high-capacity railway between Milan and Venice, will belong to the Mediterranean Corridor that will link Spain and Ukraine. One of the strategic trans-European transport corridors (the so-called TEN-T core network), it will support traffic between Europe and Asia. In Europe, meanwhile, it will handle traffic between the southern and eastern regions. With the addition of the line between Milan and Venice to the national network, 75% of the Italian population will have access to high-speed rail service.
The project is one of the most important projects in Italy being developed by Webuild, which is also involved in the development of the Bicocca-Catenanuova section of the Palermo-Catania line in Sicily; the Terzo Valico dei Giovi and Genoa Junction that will strengthen links between the port and main railways in northern Italy and northern Europe; the Brenner Base Tunnel between Verona and Munich; the M4 metro line in Milan; and two sections of the Naples-Bari high-speed railway.
EBRD lends Izmir €125 million to build new metro line
30 July 2021
Financing agreed for construction of 100km section of Western Railway Line in Ghana
30 July 2021
Construction of Edéa-Kribi-Campo & Douala-Limbe-Idenau railway lines
29 July 2021
Work completed on 'longest rail tunnel in the Middle East'
27 July 2021
$7bn Philippine rail scheme attracts bids from 17 international contractors
25 July 2021
Sudan railway network to get US$ 643M revamp
23 July 2021